Thursday, November 29, 2007

Spitfire VIII

I honestly don't remember where or when I acquired this kit, and I don't read Chinese so I don't even know who made it, but I really like it. It has finely engraved panel lines, good fit, and save for the cockpit, very good detail.

To upgrade the cockpit, I carefully removed the completed cockpit from an old model my father gave to me to bash. I also replaced the canopy with a Squadron vacuum-formed canopy. With a little bit of work I was able to get the cockpit and canopy to fit and the rest of the kit went together without a hitch.

I had a couple of options for markings. I originally wanted to display my Spitfire with American markings from the African theatre. However, I later found some AeroMaster decals of the famed RAAF "Grey Nurse" squadron; I instantly changed my mind. One other thing I liked about the markings were the codes - they are the first initials of the boys in my wife's family: Zuka, Parker, and Quinntin.

I'm glad I kept this kit from the days before my memory. Everyone should have a Spitfire in their WWII collection, and I think the Mk. VIII had the best looking lines of any of the versions of what is considered by many to be the most beautiful fighter of all time.

1 comment:

Annette said...

Quinntin I'm impressed. I haven't seen your models before this and they look great!