Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ju 88C-6 Tagzerstorer

This kit was the Dragon Models release of an earlier Monogram mold. I love the cockpit detail (which unfortunately is difficult to see with the dark grey interior paint the Germans used) The fit was generally good, save for the wing root and engine nacel joints. I mostly built this kit out of the box, including the markings.

I kit-bashed the cannon breeches from one of my Edward Fw 190A-8 kits to put in the lower gondola. Again, hard to see, but they look cool in person. I also had to use some sheet-styrene to build the firewalls between the engine compartments and the main wheel wells.


The big problem I had was finding swastikas since providing them is now politically incorrect. With the advice from my knowlegeable father, I bought some EagleCal 1/32 scale Fw 190 decals and used the swastikas on that sheet; it worked well. The Dragon decals were very thick and the false window spar decals were virtually impossible to use on the nose. Instead, I cut up the white backing decals from the EagleCal sheet into thin strips and used those.

All in all, I enjoyed the build, which was challenging enough to hone my skills, yet not so difficult that I wanted to give it up.
5/21/08 - This model won 3rd Place in the Aircraft Large Prop. Detailed category at the IPMS Salt Lake City show on April 26, 2008.

No comments: