Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Me 262A-1a



I built this Tamiya kit straight out of the box. I even used the decal seat belts (which I didn't really like). I think that Tamiya hit a home run with this kit. Despite the seat belts, the cockpit was very good, the wheel-wells, especially the main gear wells, were excellent and the fit was superb. I really liked the ingenuity of the nose weight part doubling as the nose wheel-well ceiling and gun compartment floor. The gun compartment could probably use a little bit of detailing, but I chose to leave it closed anyway.

Even though the instructions indicate differently, I chose to put the R4M rockets on the version from JV44. I figured that this subject probably carried the rockets at some point, seeing as how JV44 developed anti-bomber tactics using the R4M rockets.

I chose the JV44 option because I wanted an example the squadron of elite pilots who developed important jet-powered tactics in its infancy. I also liked the two-tone green over light blue better than the two-tone gray over light blue scheme. Although WWII Luftwaffe fighter schemes are somewhat difficult to paint, I enjoyed the practice using my airbrush techniques and feel that the overall paint job turned out well.

I highly recommend this kit for all amateur to advance modelers, especially fans of 262s. The A-1a kit is a bit pricey, but less expensive than the A-2a. Plus, the A-1a kit has most of the parts for the A-2a version, and with a little bit of parts modification and some after market decals, one can still make a A-2a.

No comments: