Sunday, October 26, 2008

F4D-1 Skyray

This was a model that I purchased on my mission in Russia ten years ago. I don't remember what the conversion rate was, but I do remember that it was cheaper than in the States. It is a very good 1/48 Tamiya kit. The wings came positionable up or down, the cockpit and wheel wells are very finely detailed, and the fit is nearly perfect. The only thing that I felt lacking was the intake trunking. I thought about adding in the ducts in, but decided that it looked well enough and made the kit straight out of the box.



Once I finished painting and weathering the interior pieces (jet intake fan, wheel wells, & cockpit) the rest of the fuselage pieces went together without a hitch. I didn't have to spend very much time filling gaps and sanding because it didn't really need it. I chose ahead of time that I wanted to show the unique wing shape as well as a folded wing by folding the port wing only. The other advantage to this was that I saved a little bit of shelf space for other models.

I love the U.S. Navy paint scheme in the late 50's, 60's, and 70's of Gloss Gull Grey over Insignia White, so naturally I was pleased with the look of this aircraft. The decals are Aero Master decals. I chose the VF-141 "Iron Angels" markings (Aero Master must have misprinted their instruction sheet because they say this was from VMF-542 which it obviously isn't). I chose them because I liked the unusual orange delta shape painted with the delta-wing. The decals went on well.

I wanted a simple armament package, so along with the drop tanks, I added the Sidewinder missles and that was it. I think the Skyray looks sleek but deadly with this set-up. Overall, I am very pleased with this model. No wonder it has been a popular kit.

No comments: