Wednesday, May 21, 2008

F-86F Sabrejet


This model is an old Monogram kit that my dad gave to me to occupy my time, and it did exactly that. I used the kit as an opportunity to expand my skills. I rescribed all of the panel lines, added in a resin cockpit and wheel wells, and scratch-built the intake cover and main landing gear doors, not to mention I'm still working out how to do a really nice bare-metal finish. I completed this model late in April, but just now had the time to get photo's and a blog written. (Writer's note: the photos were taken post "Hurricane Parker", where my 19-month old son tried to reverse-engineer the model piece by piece, so some repairs have taken place, along with some additional scratch-built parts, i.e. the control column and some landing gear door actuators.)



The first thing I decided to do to this kit to modernize it was turning the raised panel lines inside out. I used a #11 Exacto blade modified with some serations added in with a Dremel cutting tool as a scribing tool. The serations allow me to scribe around complex curves and the length of the cutting surface allow me to make very straight lines without a ruler. I just stuck a piece of masking tape along the line I wanted to scribe and started engraving. I turned the blade upside-down and used the tip of the blade to deepen the lines a little more, then sanded off the raised lines. I freehanded the round panels (refueling receptacle covers, inspection plates, etc.) going very slowly and using the raised line as a guide. Some of the panels didn't turn out quite perfectly and I probably could have gotten rid of some of them, but I think overall, the new lines look very nice.



I then decided that the sparse and shallow wheel wells wouldn't cut it, as well as the cockpit. I bought a resin cockpit by Legend Productions, and a resin undercarriage set by CMK - both designed for the Hasegawa kit and put them in. I had to do some additional cutting on the fuselage halves to fit the cockpit in, but this was relatively easy and the cockpit went in without a hitch. The resin wheel wells however were a bit smaller, although deeper, than the kit's wheel wells. Once I cut out the original wells, thined the plastic where needed, and glued in the resin wells, I had to fill in the gaps with styrene strips, superglue, and little putty. I sanded the seems smooth and the wheel wells looked just like they were part of the kit.



The air intake on the kit has a very shallow visual block the look of which I didn't like. I, lacking the skills to scratch-build the intake trunking, decided to make an intake cover, which would commonly be used on a resting aircraft anyway. So, referring to some photos I took of the mounted F-86 in front of the Utah ANG offices, I used a piece of styrene and some stretched sprue to make a home-made intake cover. I also decided that the main gear doors were too thick and large for the new wheel wells. I used styrene to make some thinner doors, which was relatively easy since the doors were basically flat.

By the time I had the model ready to paint, I was in a rush to get the model completed in time for the IPMS show. I painted the metal finish, then the stripes (next time I will do the latter first, then the former) and applied the Super Scale decals. I really liked the markings from the kit, but they were very thick and not well registered, so I found some decals of an aircraft from the same squadron by Super Scale, and I really like the tiger mouth. A few things that I would like to do differently if I made another one would be to take a bit more time with the finish, and I would also get an after-market canopy (the kit canopy looks a little funny to me now that it is on). Overall, though, I am extremely pleased with the improvements that I made to the original kit. Monogram models are great kits to work up because they usually need it, but always have a good base and plastic to work with.

3 comments:

chaindropz said...

Very Nice. I have pictures of fighter planes on chaindropz.blogspot.com
559th. Photos

chaindropz said...

I am glad you liked my pictures. I have 8 more blogs you are welcome to look them over. The A1E picture on my site is the one that Major Fisher was flying when he got the Medal of Honor. It was repainted to a factory paint job and is at Wright Patterson Ohio. Check out the Tail Number.

chaindropz said...

I have a picture of a pewter model of a c-47. I posted it on chaindropz.blogspot.com My random blog. Can you tell me if this is an old model?